Oakwood Community School
GLOBAL AREAS OF LEARNING
Allied to the importance of providing the right learning environment is our approach to delivering education in its broadest sense.
We recognise that each child’s experience of learning will be different. However, our education provision is founded on key learning areas that we believe provide the best opportunity for educational, emotional and behavioural development. These include the following:
- Communication and Language - fostering a greater understanding of language amongst pupils and giving them opportunities to develop confidence in speech and self expression.
- Physical Development - helping pupils be more active, develop co-ordination and control, and to explore the wider space around them.
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development - giving young people the opportunity to experience things outside their comfort zone. Enabling them to develop their SMSC values as well as practical and functional life skills.
- Expressive Arts and Design - giving pupils the chance to express themselves in their own original ways.
- Understanding the World - giving pupils the opportunity to learn about themselves, their likes, dislikes and unique qualities, and show how these can fit in a wider context.
- Functional Literacy - through a range of subjects pupils have the opportunity to develop reading, spelling and writing skills.
- Functional Mathematics - maths skills including number skills, mathematical functions, money and budgets, time and space, are developed on a daily basis.
The School Day
The learning day is divided into five teaching periods, including a Nurture Breakfast, with individual classes having staggered indoor and outdoor break and snack times throughout the morning. Pupils access English and Maths lessons on a daily basis, with other subjects timetabled throughout the week. The pupil's working week is condensed to allow pupils to leave at 12.45pm on Fridays. Friday afternoon is dedicated to staff professional development.
Oakwood Community School are proud to be supporting an event entitled ‘Autism Support and Online Safety’.MORE >