Oakwood Community School
We are committed to providing a positive educational experience for our pupils through delivering an ambitious and engaging curriculum. Across all stages of the curriculum we place strong emphasis on the benefits of practical experience as well as classroom learning. In particular we promote the hugely positive impact that outdoor learning can have on a child's development. All our lessons are also linked and tailored to the requirements of the national curriculum.
Key Stage 1 & 2 Curriculum – Ages 6 to 11
- Numeracy and Literacy are taught every day. Pupils are assessed when they enter the School so that work can be tailored to their individual academic level, ensuring that each child makes the best progress possible for them.
- Physical education forms an important part of the Curriculum and there will be a variety of active lessons with both individual and team activities.
- Students will also be taught History, Geography, ICT, Science, Modern Foreign Languages, Arts and Crafts and PSHE.
- Pupils also have access to EYFS style activities, where appropriate, to fill learning gaps that may present themselves.
Key Stage 3 Curriculum – Ages 11 to 14
- Core Numeracy and Literacy skills continue to be developed and English and Maths are taught as a stand-alone subjects.
- There is greater emphasis on specific subject lessons including English, History, Geography, Science, ICT, Modern Foreign Languages, Art and Design, Life Skills and PSHE.
- Physical education and outdoor activities remain a core part of the curriculum, with pupils also accessing swimming and/or fitness classes on a fortnightly basis.
Key Stage 4 Curriculum – Ages 14 to 16
- Subject teaching is geared towards achieving success at Entry Level, Functional Skills level and, where appropriate, GCSEs can be offered.
- There is also strong emphasis on personal development and employability skills.
- Access to gaining vocational qualifications is offered.
- Outside the classroom the school continues to offer a wide range of Sport and Active Leisure activities.
.Pupils study a broad curriculum that enables them to develop their knowledge and skills across the full range of subjects.'
Our staff team at Oakwood are always looking to improve their skills and as an organisation we think Continuous Professional Development sessions are of prime importance. Recently the team participated […]MORE >